Today we have a very special treat. “Meatfist” Mike, most famous for the pictures of his work in my Warmachine\Hordes Gallery, has taken pains to document the painting of his latest project, one of the newest additions to the Trollbloods Hordes line, Madrak, Great Cheiftan (a.k.a. Madrak 3). I’ll not spend too much time setting the post up though, let’s jump straight into the meat…of the article (I’m not sorry for that). Enjoy!
Hey everyone, I’m getting ready to paint another Hordes model from Privateer Press. This time, instead of just posting the final results, I am going to do things a little differently. I have decided to make a series of posts detailing the process as I paint Madrak, Great Chieftain (Madrak 3)!
Put him together,
After assessing all the pieces, I make sure they are all present. For a smaller model like this one it’s typically as easy as laying them all out (pictured above). Once I feel I’m not missing anything I’ll use a super glue to bond the pieces together. Personally I prefer to use Gorilla Glue brand super glue.
Begin with a layer of Primer,
Most of the time I use black primer, specifically Formula P3, on my Hordes minis.
I use black for my Hordes minis because I don’t want their colors as bright as my Warmachine unit (Khador). Plus, if I miss some deep recessed parts while painting they missed portions are less visible. If you do want a brighter pop to your miniatures a white primer is a must.
Let the painting begin
I start out slow, and then pick up steam (no apologies for the Warmachine joke).
I painted the rock and stone part of the shield Ironhull Grey. The inside of his mouth and eyes are Skorne Red. I used Necrotite Green on the runes on his shield and gauntlet to get a bright, “glowy” effect. Hopefully I can navigate around the smaller runes well enough to preserve them on later steps.
The part that was difficult was his face behind the shield. The challenge in these situations is to figure out the correct angle to approach with the brush.\
This next part I focused on Madrak’s lower body. I used more Ironhull Grey for the rune stones that hang from his armor. I used Iosan Green on his Quitari Cloth, painting a Tartan Pattern free hand is beyond my abilities. For the metal parts I break my brand loyalty and use Citadel paints. I use Runefang Steel and Sycorax Bronze.
Didn’t paint a whole lot this time. Just hit the bits of leather padding poking out of his armor, and finished up his Quitari Cloth. Most trollkin wear their Quitari like a sash, but Madrak always seems to like to wrap himself up in it.
Lots done here, even if it was mostly intricate parts. I finished up the scrolls and painted his quiver. I started on the right gauntlet. I needed to leave the spears in the quiver for last since I tend to hold the model there. If you look closely you will notice that some of the primer has worn away as a result.
Painted Madrak’s right gauntlet and spear. Managed to preserve the runes.
Next step will be his shield. Painting the inside of a shield is a pain, so that’s where I will start.
Finished Madrak’s shield and quivered spears.
With this the base paint job is done other than some small touch ups.
Time for the home stretch
It’s not a great picture but I finally finished my touch-ups and applied a wash. I once again dipped into the Citadel paint line and used a brown wash called Agrax Earthshade. It makes some of the small details “pop” and makes the model appear somewhat dirtied.
If you’re ever in need of a wash but haven’t actually purchased one simply choose the color you’d like and thin it with water. This will create a very thin colored water that allows the color to seep into nooks and crannies. There are tons of opinions on what makes a good wash out there. Find one that makes sense to you!
Just painting the base in this last step to make the front and back halves easy to identify. Made the front Trollblood Base and the back Thamar Black. I made the little template under the base in the picture, to help with facing, using the witchcraft known as “math“.
Finishing the base means Madrak is officially painted, thanks for following along with me! I put a layer of watered down glue and sprinkled on some fine ballast, the kind of stuff that would be used on a model train set. Then, I put down some more glue and add some meadow blend flock.
I hope you enjoyed my step by step painting guide, and the final outcome for that matter. I also hope you learned a thing or two. If you feel you have a better appraoch to one or more of the steps I’d love to hear from you. Just hit me up below. Now, nothing left to do but move on to the next model, after a bit of a break of course. See you next time!